Boston Store

Manufacturer: Lamberton, Scammell China
User: Boston Store
Pattern: American Hotels floral border pattern
Date: 1931
Notes: The Boston Store was founded in Erie, Pa., in 1885. In 1929, construction began on the company’s six-story State Street store, and that opened in 1931. It included a four-sided, buff brick clock and bell tower above the main entrance. This was a distinctive feature of the building and could be seen from many Erie locations.

Although there was more than one Boston Store in the United States, they were not part of a chain. Each business was individually founded and operated. After being bought by Associated Dry Goods in 1959, the store closed 20 years later, in 1979.

From yourerie.com, even though the Boston Store building (now called Boston Store Place) houses apartment units with some retail shops located on the ground floor, the clock still chimes and is maintained.

As you can see from the photos below, the clock tower – surrounded by blue sky and clouds – was part of the crested decal on this celery dish. The orange, blue and green floral border on the china was originally designed by C. McKaig when he worked at Syracuse China. This pattern was used for American Hotels Company china, but when that pattern was discontinued, Scammell offered the old decals to other customers.

Scammell’s 1931 Lamberton catalog included Boston Store under their list of restaurant and tea room customers, meaning that this china service was made for use in the Boston Store restaurant when it opened in 1931.

Sources:
Wikipedia
Larry Paul






ID contributed by apPaul
Photos contributed by Lindabelle

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org