Lorraine Hotel

Manufacturer: Bauscher Weiden, Germany
User: Hotel Lorraine
Distributor: L. Barth & Company, Inc., New York, NY
Date: 1922
Notes: The 13-story Hotel Lorraine located in New York, NY at 545 5th Ave. & 45th St., on the southwest corner, opened before 1900. In 1915, it is listed as having 280 rooms, and by 1928, the Hotel Red book listed the room count at 250. In August 1919, Fred J. Eisler, as president of a newly-formed company, leased the Lorraine for a term of ten years. They planned to “rebuild the present cafe and create a new restaurant which would be in keeping with the demands of a high-class clientele.” It may be that when this lease ran out in 1928 they decided not to renew it. The 1930 Hotel Red Book does not list the Lorraine. After the hotel closed it was converted into an office building with retail stores on the ground floor. The building is still standing as of 2016.

Information Sources: September 1918, Hotel Monthly, page 69 and 1948 photograph of exterior by Wurts Bros., collection of Museum of City of New York.

Crested with a wide circle frame with line design, around a back-to-back mirrored LL monogram, in coin gold. Yellow green band with coin gold outline flanking the logo. Coin gold rim line. Buffalo China also produced a similar topmarked piece for the Hotel Lorraine.









ID contributed by L. Paul
Photos contributed by eBay Seller votejoe


The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org