Alexian Brothers Hospital

Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery Co.
User: Alexian Brothers Hospital
Distributor: Albert Pick & Co., Chicago
Date: 1890s - circa 1911
Notes: The Alexian Brothers ministry began in the Middle Ages in Europe. They chose St. Alexius -- a fifth-century saint who was devoted to the poor and sick -- as the patron of their first chapel. With the passing of time, reference was made to them as the "Alexian Brothers" by the people they served. Today (2009), the Alexian Brothers are located in Germany, Belgium, England, Ireland, the Philippines, Hungary and the United States.

In the United States, the Alexian Brothers established their first hospital in 1868 in Chicago, Ill., but it was destroyed by the great 1871 Chicago Fire. After the fire, they built other hospitals in Chicago in 1873 and 1898, and established hospitals in St. Louis, Mo. (1870), Oshkosh, Wisc. (1880), and Elizabeth, N.J. (1892).

The backstamp dates this piece from the 1890s - circa 1911, which means it could have been used in any of these Alexian Hospital locations. Click here for a detailed history of the Alexian Brothers.

Lamberton China white body with a black and orange thin line border. Topmarked in orange letters "Alexian Brothers Hospital" within an ornamental scroll pattern.

For related info:
Alexian Brothers Hospital 2 by Scammell China





Photo contributed by Curio Peddler

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org