Randolph Hotel

Manufacturer: Fraunfelter China
User: New Randolph Hotel
Distributor: Albert Pick & Co., Chicago
Date: 1927
Notes: The 12-story, 132-room New Hotel Randolph, located on the Southwest corner of 4th Street and Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, opened in 1927. It replaced the original 40-room Hotel Randolph, located at 3rd Street, which 36-year old Charles Clayton Randolph and his brothers acquired in 1906.

Charles Clayton Randolph and his brothers, George Washington, Manton Delwine, Barr Harland and Wade-Hampton, were descendants of the first Randolph colonists, who settled in Roanoke, Virginia; so, they named the new hotel dining room the Roanoke Room. The Roanoke Room was located three steps down through an archway at the end of the lobby. It was a rectangular dining room with no windows; however, large mirrors on the long walls of the dining room, made it appear larger and filled with light. Albert Pick & Company, of Chicago, supplied the furnishings for the New Hotel Randolph, including the crested blankets in the bedrooms.

The hotel closed in 1984 and was imploded on Sunday, July 21, 1985.

White body china, crested overglaze with a vertical oval containing a large cross with five stars. An animal head holding an arrow is on top of the cross and a banner with “Fari Que Sentiat” (to say what one feels) is curved below. The Randolph family crest consists of this design and the banner is the family motto. The border design features panels with Greek mythological figures in brown against a black background. A black Greek Key border above a series of swags connects the panels. A brick red rim line completes the border design.

Sources:
“Hotel Planning” Albert Pick & Co., 1928, Page 28
Milwaukee Public Library Digital Collection
Interior and exterior postcard views
Charles Clayton Randolph (1870-1962) Memorial #91515468









ID contributed by L. Paul
Photos contributed by eBay seller kathyh3


The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org