Walton's Lunch

Manufacturer: W.H. Grindley, England
User: Walton's Lunch System
Date: 1900s - 1920s
Notes: Born in Canaan, Nova Scotia in 1874, David H. Walton started the Walton Lunch System as a small lunch venue in 1903 and grew it to a chain of luncheons with several locations in Boston, Mass., and two locations in Montreal, Canada.

By 1916, there were Walton's Lunch rooms at 242 and 424 Tremont St., 629 and 1083 Washington St., 7 School St., 42 Federal St. and 44 Summer St. in Boston. At that time, there were also two Montreal locations at 259 St. James St. and at the cross-streets of Peel and St. Catherine.

As was common with the luncheons of this time period, the lunch rooms were adorned with tile and the employees wore white uniforms to communicate sanitation and cleanliness.


By 1922, the number of Walton's Lunch rooms had expanded to 15 (based on the ad excerpt shown below), and in the 1940s, that number increased to 20 locations, based on the matchcover also shown below.

Sources:
The Book of Boston: Fifty Years' Recollections of the New England Metropolis by Edwin Monroe Bacon, The Book of Boston Company, Boston, Mass., 1916, p. 497.
Technique, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Junior Class, 1922

White body with blue-green scrolling vines border pattern, topmarked Walton's in bold, outlined blue-green letters.

For related info:
Walton's Lunch 2 by Shenango China


]



David H. Walton


1083 Washington St., Boston, Mass.



ID and photos contributed by kathleen

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org