Bond Hotels 2

Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Bond Hotels
Pattern: Hotel Bond Pattern #24000
Date: 1931
Notes: The 12-story, 135-foot tall Bond Hotel opened in 1913 at 338 Asylum Street in Hartford, Conn. In 1920, a six-story, 85-foot tall wing was added at 324 - 336 Asylum Street, and a grand reopening of the 450-room Hotel Bond was held in 1921.

In 1918, the proprietor, Harry S. Bond, added the 275-room Bond Annex at 354 Church Street, and shortly after that the 200-room Bondmore Hotel at 159 Allen Street.

The 5,000 square foot Grand Ballroom on the top floor of the Bond Hotel, with 30-foot ceiling and huge Palladian windows that overlooked Hartford, became the place to be.

The hotel closed in the early 1980s and sat for many years, although the ballroom was still used for parties and weddings. The ballroom was renovated in 2000 and reopened in September 2001.

The rest of the hotel has been renovated and as of 2006 was a Homeward Suites run by Hilton Hotels.

Even in the absence of the blue Hotel Bond - HB - shield and crown and hand and sword shown in detail below, this engraved plate print is known as the Hotel Bond Series #24000, shown on page 46 of this underglazed Syracuse China binder. It was designed in 1912. The Hotel Bond decoration with its swags and pendants was available in different colors, and each color was assigned a unique pattern number; together these color variations made up the series. It is likely that the single color print version was created originally for the Hotel Bond, which is why it carries the name. But it was not a controlled pattern and was therefore not exclusive, even in blue, to the Hotel Bond.

For related info:
Bond Hotels by Scammell China
Bond Hotels 3 by Mayer China
Adolphus Hotel by Syracuse China


In the photo above, the matchstand was manufactured by Syracuse.





ID contributed by O.P.Co.
Photos contributed by dbstoneware

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org