Hippodrome Inn

Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: Hippodrome Inn
Date: 1912 - 1913
Notes: Located at 720 Euclid Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio at the Playhouse Square, the 11-story Hippodrome Building was constructed in 1907. The building housed the Hippodrome Theatre (also called the Hipp), the Hippodrome Inn, a large restaurant in the basement and business offices.

The 4,500-seat theatre opened December 30, 1907 as the largest theater west of New York. Before or after the theatre, you could dine in the Hippodrome Inn Restaurant.

The theater was purchased by Alvin Krenzler in 1972, and by that time, it was the last movie house in Downtown Cleveland. The Hippodrome Building was torn down in 1981.

Check out The Beautiful Hippodrome Theatre video.

Source:
The Cool History of Cleveland, Blog, January 27, 2008





Postcard, circa 1908


Postcard, circa 1930s
"Hippodrome Inn. Down the stairs in the Hippodrome Building Entrance. Cleveland, Ohio."


ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org