Rockingham Hotel 3

Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery Co.
User: Rockingham Hotel
Pattern: #6010 Iris Border
Distributor: Mitchell Woodbury Co.
Date: Circa 1920
Notes: The five-story, 100-room Rockingham Hotel was located at 401 State St., in Portsmouth, N.H.

The Rockingham House originally was built as a mansion brick home in 1785 for Judge Woodbury Langdon. Thomas Coburn first opened the Rockingham House as a hotel to the public on Nov. 1, 1833.

Frank Jones, mayor of Portsmouth, U.S. Representative and noted ale maker, became the owner of the Rockingham in 1870 and made additions to it. In 1884, a fire destroyed all but the octagonal dining room.

Jones rebuilt the hotel around the dining room, using Jabez Sears’ redesign, sparing no expense; the project cost him more than the cost of the entire Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The lions atop each set of steps were adopted by Jones as his personal symbol.

In 1973, The Rockingham was purchased by a development corporation for restoration as condominiums. The Library Restaurant reopened in the octagonal dining room in 1975.

It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Wikipedia: Frank Jones
Wikipedia: Rockingham Hotel
Hotel Red Books

The service plate has a green, blue and purple decal of iris flowers – or irises – loosely arranged around the border, In the center are rampant lions on each side of crest, with the letter R inside, an elaborate crown atop and banner with ROCKINGHAM HOTEL below.

For related info:
Rockingham Hotel by Iroquois China
Rockingham Hotel 2 by Syracuse China

Photos contributed by Phelps
Rockingham photo contributed by

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at