Hill School

Manufacturer: Shenango China
User: The Hill School
Date: 1983 - 1987
Notes: Rev. Matthew Meigs founded The Family Boarding School for Boys and Young Men in 1851, the first boarding school in America, in Pottstown, Pa. Tuition at that time was $200 a year for the 25 boys who enrolled. In 1874, the school was renamed The Hill. It became coeducational in 1998.

Founded in 1851 by the Rev. Matthew Meigs as The Family Boarding School for Boys and Young Men, The Hill School was the first boarding school in America. Tuition at that time was $200 a year for the 25 boys who enrolled. The school became coeducational in 1998.

White body with blue shield of hill with sun rays behind, sword handle above, banner below reading Whatsoever Things Are True (Philippians 4:8), the school's motto. Mayer China also manufactured pieces with this topmark distributed by Strawbridge & Clothier, Philadelphia, Pa.

Maddock Pottery was also a likely provider of this pattern. Larry Paul has information on a fragment found in a Maddock's dump site #2 about a piece with this same banner. The motto was introduced by Alfred G. Rolfe, who was headmaster between 1911 and 1914.

Source:
http://www.thehill.org/RelId/619192/...ol_history.htm





Unmarked Egg Cup

ID and egg cup photos contributed by reddygal
Plate photos contributed by apPaul

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org