Bond Hotels

Manufacturer: Scammell China
User: Bond Hotels
Date: pre-1920 to 1927
Notes: The 12-story, 135' tall, Bond Hotel opened in 1913 at 338 Asylum Street in Hartford, Connecticut. In 1920, a 6-story, 85' tall wing was added at 324 - 336 Asylum street and a grand reopening of the 450-room Hotel Bond was held in 1921.

In 1918 the proprietor, Harry S. Bond added the 275-room Bond Annex at 354 Church Street; and shortly after that the 200-room Bondmore Hotel at 159 Allen Street.

The 5,000 sq.ft. Grand Ballroom on the top floor of the Bond Hotel with its 30-foot ceiling and huge Palladian windows that overlooked Hartford became the place to be.

The hotel closed in the early 1980s and sat for many years, although the Ballroom was still used for weddings and the such. The Ballroom was renovated in 2000 and reopened in Sept. 2001.

The rest of the hotel has been renovated and is now (2006) the Homeward Suites run by Hilton Hotels.

In the photo below, the candle holder and footed sherbet were made by Scammell's Lamberton China in 1923. The design consists of dark or navy blue bunting or swags draped around the border with medallions of the same color. Syracuse China called this pattern Adolphus, patented March 11, 1913. It is unknown if Scammell named it or merely copied it for Bond Hotels.

For related info:
Bond Hotels 2 by Syracuse China
Bond Hotels 3 by Mayer China








ID and photos contributed by dbstoneware


The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org