South Shore Country Club

Manufacturer: Syracuse China
User: South Shore Country Club
Date: 1926
Notes: The South Shore Cultural Center of Chicago, IL -- a 58-acre park with a nine-hole golf course, lighted tennis courts, beach, art gallery, horse stables, impressive building with grand ballrooms, the Parrot Cage restaurant, and the Washburn Culinary Institute -- began as the South Shore Country Club in 1905, and later was rebuilt in the Mediterranean Revival style in 1916.

The South Shore Country Club was extremely popular in the 1920s through the 1940s, but the club's membership peaked in the late 1950s. In the decades that followed, many African-Americans settled in the South Shore area, but since the private club excluded African-Americans, it went out of business in 1974.

Bought by the Chicago Park District in 1975, the South Shore Cultural Center was listed on the National Register in 1975 and the historic building was restored as a historic landmark in 2004.

Source:
Chicago Park District: South Shore Cultural Center

Click here for an extensive history of the South Shore Country Club by William M. Krueger.

White body with dark green line and orange pinstripe border with curly ends. Topmarked with the South Shore Country Club tree logo in dark green. This club tree logo was also used on this 1929 menu available in Chuckman's Chicago Collection.





Photos submitted by matthanne1

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org