Lafayette Hotel 2

Manufacturer: Maddock Pottery Co.
User: Lafayette Hotel
Distributor: Mitchell Woodbury Co., Boston, Mass.
Date: Circa 1910
Notes: The Lafayette Hotel, known as The Lafayette, was located at 638 Congress St., in Portland, Maine.

According to the Maine Irish Heritage Trail website, “The Lafayette was one of the grandest hotels in the area for decades, with its famous Mayfair Room (a fancy ballroom) and mosaic tile floors. The prominent Maine contractor James Cunningham, an immigrant from County Leitrim, Ireland, built it in 1903.”

It has apparently changed names over the years, to Lafayette Townhouses and now to its current incarnation since a 1996 renovation, Lafayette Square rental apartments.

From the Larry Paul Hotel Database, the logo on the creamer is a “shield within a shield containing diagonal band, dark and light designs in outer shield, flanked by standing goats with turned heads, crown and horses head on top, decorative platform on bottom.”

For more info:
Lafayette Hotel










ID and photos contributed by floralady
Postcard contributed by cardcow.com

The IDwiki was Originally built by VaultWiki
A special thanks to the team at vaultwiki.org